Make Friends with your Kids' Friends

Posted On // 1 comment
Make friends with your kids' friends, remember their names and information. It adds to the list of lifestuff you can share with your kids.


Attended 2 thingamajiggy events in the boys' school. One program for each son, so I was running to and fro the high school and elementary.

I inhaled the vibe of high school. The young men strutted, the young lasses were consciously being pretty. I lurved eet!

What I loved most about being near teenagers: being around a sea of spankin' new collagen in skin and hair... Made me feel the skin by my eyes and neck went up an inch or two. I swear!

- -

I have been a youth coach in my non-profit heyday, so it's natural for me to talk to young people.

I didn't know this was supposed to be weird until I recounted a conversation to my childhood friend, of my sons' friend talking to me/ joking with each other even though their basketball game has already started. My friend teased me, "Uyy.. close (Translation: Uyy.. the boy is close to you."

So I go in my head, "???"

I guess talking to kids is one thing I acquired from my previous office of feminists and activists. They were nice, open and non-toxic to their kids. Lucky for the boys I worked at that office. I was exposed to a slightly generation-gapped family.

And then I remember how virtually nobody's parents talked to us when we were teen-agers. And those adults who did, I really admire and feel close to, even upto now. Ashamedly, I opened up to them more I did my own parents.

Make friends with your kids' friends, remember their names and information. It adds to the list of lifestuff you can share with your kids.

- -

Funny last claiming of report cards, I nudged my freshman son "Introduce me to your friends." I wanted to get to know him more through the people he hung out with. And also, so I know who he's talking about when he talks about the happenings in class. Etchos... Besides my seriously noble intentions, I thought I'd enjoy making him squirm. (Can't leave that out of the agenda, hehehe)

Well, he did introduce me to his friends and close classmates. He did a pretty good job, like a well-mannered, balanced boy. (Wanted to shake him by the collar to see if there's any sign of possession... No??? Alien invasion?)

You know who squirmed while I was being introduced?

His classmates!

1 comments:

mrsbear said...

I'm with you. Being involved with the kids, even though they occasionally squirm, keeps the lines of communication open. And makes you more aware when something changes.