Stuff I Admire from My Son's School

Posted On // Leave a Comment

Kids Singing to Parents
Guess who my camera-evading son is...



We went to my son's family day today. Fun.

The School CEO gave a talk to the parents on how the school has buckled up and patterning subjects to Singapore's Math and Science programs. There are a few more jewels in her talk that I appreciate, which I realize I always gain whenever she OR THE OTHER ADMINISTRATORS give a talk.

There are others, but right now here is a list of what I admire about the school's principles in developing the kids. These are things I keep in mind also when raising the boys.

  • Thrust to improve academics and usual extra-curriculars is a default setting. All schools try that. I don't really care to nitpick the boys' grades, it's just a blessing that the boys' grades are okay and 1 tops class.
  • Priority to train the kids to also analyze and be resourceful. I bemoan copy-pasting and/ or just memorizing facts. There are some things I do give a shit on, like looking at how the boys' google. You might take google for granted, but I care that the boys know how to organize data and look for shit.
  • Fun. Lots of activities throughout the year that are fun and actually - gasp!- educational.
  • Balance on material whims. The school CEO always reminds parents to not give in to all our kids' material whims. They are turning to softies by doing so, she says. I agree.
  • Encourage kids to be entrepreneurial. There was this 1 event I attended when a school admin was giving an inspirational talk to the kids. She was encouraging the kids to be entrepreneurial for their own pocket money. I was thinking other parents may think it's cheap, but I love how they're opening the kids' minds on this delicate matter so early.
  • It takes a village. Partnership with parents is for real. It is surprising how parents actually help out in big or small programs. You can see parents sprawled on the floor painting backdrops, cutting papers, etc. with the kids. And we can come for big or small programs, no invites needed. When I was in school parents were only allowed to show up for limited programs. That's baccalaureate mass and graduation (other than the usual parent-teacher conferences) only! With my boys' school, parents who want to partner with the school are more than welcome.

    There are others that are quite radical that other parents' may not approve of, but I approve of widening kids' minds to options other than the accepted opinions in the mainstream.

    Yeah, I think this school's learning to rock pretty well.


    Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe (free) to MotherFonker Blog
  • 0 comments: