Stimulate the Happy Hormones in your Child Through Sports

Posted On // Leave a Comment
10-year old is taking taekwondo classes this summer. He's waited for about a year and now he's all happy and sunshiney taking his basic course. I enrolled him at the Diliman Preparatory School Summer Enrichment Taekwondo Program. The kids there have been winning competitions through the years, so I'm sure the coach is very capable.

Yesterday, I noticed that most kids were all smiley in class. This is regardless all the hard work in the lessons. Students have to run, stretch, concentrate on the movements, shout/ scream, kick, assist, jump, etc. There was also no age consideration in the tasks. Whatever the tiny yellow belt pre-schooler did, was the same task for the yellow belt teen.

And I thought, well, all this hard work brings about Endorphins, the natural happy drug in your body that is both a pain-reliever and a mood enhancer.

But then... this is also what I noticed in Boy Scouts (I think I've written about this somewhere). During Scouts Awarding Ceremonies, Boy Scouts and parents are all smiley and comfy in each other. I noticed that in Academic Awarding Ceremonies, there are some teens and parents who have a strained interaction. They like to scowl at each other. It makes me really thankful the teen and I don't.

However, as I pondered more about this, my eyes drifted to a late mom and student. The student was rushing to wear the taekwondo uniform. Mom tenderly lifted the kimono over the son's head and put it on. She fixed the belt and straightened the kimono. She nodded and gave her son a smile, a signal for the child to run and join the class.

Then my eyes wandered to the 50 parents and caregivers sitting patiently, waiting for their kids.

Ah, so endorphins can be one factor, but when parents make time for your activities, any kid would be all smiley regardless the hard work.

So parents, sports for your child can be an excellent idea. It's cliche but true.

Exercise makes kids happier. You may not be there each and every time like the other parents who can afford the time (like work at homeys like me). But you can participate by taking your child to class, or take a half-day off once or twice at the office so you can wait at the sidelines sometime.

Kids can feel you may not be able get away from the office, but you did. And that can stimulate their happy hormones as well.

Digg!Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog

0 comments: