Skip to main content

Boys and Chores

I'm sure most parents will agree with me that letting boys do chores around the house helps in building character. However, Filipino parents may disagree on which chores to assign.

For me, I try to teach them all kinds of chores. From the more stereotypical "male" chores - like carpentry, basic electronics, cleaning their own rooms, etc. - to the more down and dirty "feminine" chores (as in kitchen, bathroom, clothes-related chores). I just try to see if they can do a chore, depending on age or ability, and ask them to do these chores during week-ends.

I bring this up because last week-end, my mom, being the old-school Filipina that she is, said "Don't let them do womanly chores, they'll turn gay."

Of course, I gagged. I initially wanted to start an argument. "What's the connection between chores and their sexuality?" I started. But seeing she meant well, and since I won't be able to persuade her anyways, I decided to shut up.

I have several mantras at home that I conveniently bring up, whatever calls for the occassion (read - whenever they're feeling lazy in helping at home).

The format of the mantra goes like this

"ANYBODY WHO _____________ SHOULD KNOW HOW TO ___________."

This can cover all chores. Examples :

Anybody who lives in a house, should know how to clean it.
Anybody who wears clothes, should know how to do the laundry.
(And my personal favorite) Anybody who eats, should know how to cook.


Following this line of reasoning, both guys and girls live in a house, wears clothes and eats. So I don't see why a chore should have gender exclusivity.
The reverse also holds true. Girls should also have at least a brief idea how to do "guy chores".
---

Also, one son gives more premium to intelligence. And he really detests housework. I tell the boys part of intelligence is knowing how to do things. That includes knowing how to do chores as well.

Last week, I was watching a tv shopping show and they were selling clothes irons. The hostess, a pampered socialite, encouraged people to buy the iron while admitting she didn't know how to iron her clothes. Gaaack. Major turn off. She looked pretty stupid that moment.

---

However, my main reason of ensuring that they at least know how chores are done is independence. I am more secure knowing that whatever happens, wherever they go, they will not die when there are no people to depend on to do the home chores.


How about you, what kind of chores do you let your son/s do?

Originally posted 29 January 2008

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diliman Preparatory School QC Rocks

Summary: This is a School Review, based on our family's experience.

If you are looking for an excellent school in Quezon City for your elementary or high school children, Diliman Preparatory School along Commonwealth offers up-to-date competitive curriculum in Mathematics, Sciences and Reading. They also have excellent extra-curriculum activities that will help give your children a holistic education.




Last week, at my son's academic achievement awarding ceremony (he got the no.1 honor in class again, yay! Good job, son!), the CEO of the school talked to the parents about the achievements of the school for the year, and the changes for next year.

To be quick about it, this year, Diliman Preparatory School:
- started with the Singaporean Math curriculum
- used the very new Learning by Design Reading program (it's a research-based and assessment-based reading curriculum)
- I noticed they introduced Robotics this year
- There are more changes I approve of but I won't list …

Another birthday...

I can't believe my teen is now 15!

I saw my old post about Isiah's birthday in 2008 and wow... time does fly.


Well, Isiah's 15 today and things are still quite smooth sailing.

No honors in school this year, but that's alright.
He is passionate about his music more than ever. I admire that he regularly sets aside time to study and practice music on his own.
He is not as relationship-crazy or girl-crazy the past months, I wonder why.
He is totally into new-age yikies like meditation and chakras.
Seems like he is generally enjoying his school and friends.

I do bare my fangs for him mostly over his chore of washing the dishes, but that's about it. Yeah, boring.

But for this kind of boring, I am totally grateful. Yay.



Happy birthday son. Thank you for honoring my life with your presence. Love always,


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog