Skip to main content

Parental Nagging to be Geeky?

In my gallant quest of wanting the kids to be prepared for modern day living, guess what I'm baiting them to do now?

CSS literacy? (and later, the nastier brothers and sisters of html ek2 and the like. for now, this should do....)

Never, in my wildest dreams, have I ever put this in my looong mental to-do-slash-to-teach-slash-to-encourage my children to do.

Groan... doesn't the torture ever end? For me and them.

Well, I noticed how many young people are easily/ peanutly/ chickenfeedly doing templates and skins for blogger, wordpress, multiply, friendster, and other social networking thingys. With no effort at all. Better that the boys learn now, while their gut feels are damn gewd.

As parents, we have to accept that these thingys on the net are part of daily life... and we have to accept it is part of what makes our children complete. Knowledge about it then, methinks, should be encouraged. The scarier part is that we parents should also know even a little about it. Ew. But we might get exiled to Jurassic Park if we don't.




- -

8 yo has been trying for the longest time to install a css code on his friendster layout. He wanted to put in Naruto, but the css stuff we copy-paste from other writers won't work.

He's not Naruto crazy now, but instead loves another anime series, the hilarious Yamato Nadeshiko the Wallflower. He wanted Yamato as a friendster layout.

So I told him, if it still doesn't work, make one.

And he said I don't know how...

I gave hime some basic orientation on how to customize his friendster skins. I just showed him how to do some things, that he should test it, etc etc, bla bla bla....

A little later he whooped, "Whoo! I got it!"

And true enough, the faces of Suniko, Kyohei, Takenaga, Yuki and Ranmaru greeted me from friendster.



Weird how, when we were 8, our parents marveled we can read...
8year olds these days are just.... freaks!

Comments

mrsbear said…
I definitely don't want to be one of those parents who claims ignorance to all the tech stuff, but I don't know how many more details I can fit in to my already crowded brain. Is it enough if I smile and nod? Good for your kids that you're up to speed, I'm sure that adds to your cool mom factor. ;-)
Casey said…
Holy crap dude, that's brilliant! You're setting your kids up to make some major cash one day by encouraging them to do what they love. You're so smart. Don't tell anyone I said that.
Really, it's part of the bigger dialogue:

"... it's 1 way of earning income even if you're under-age, ya know..."

Popular posts from this blog

Diliman Preparatory School QC Rocks

Summary: This is a School Review, based on our family's experience.

If you are looking for an excellent school in Quezon City for your elementary or high school children, Diliman Preparatory School along Commonwealth offers up-to-date competitive curriculum in Mathematics, Sciences and Reading. They also have excellent extra-curriculum activities that will help give your children a holistic education.




Last week, at my son's academic achievement awarding ceremony (he got the no.1 honor in class again, yay! Good job, son!), the CEO of the school talked to the parents about the achievements of the school for the year, and the changes for next year.

To be quick about it, this year, Diliman Preparatory School:
- started with the Singaporean Math curriculum
- used the very new Learning by Design Reading program (it's a research-based and assessment-based reading curriculum)
- I noticed they introduced Robotics this year
- There are more changes I approve of but I won't list …

Another birthday...

I can't believe my teen is now 15!

I saw my old post about Isiah's birthday in 2008 and wow... time does fly.


Well, Isiah's 15 today and things are still quite smooth sailing.

No honors in school this year, but that's alright.
He is passionate about his music more than ever. I admire that he regularly sets aside time to study and practice music on his own.
He is not as relationship-crazy or girl-crazy the past months, I wonder why.
He is totally into new-age yikies like meditation and chakras.
Seems like he is generally enjoying his school and friends.

I do bare my fangs for him mostly over his chore of washing the dishes, but that's about it. Yeah, boring.

But for this kind of boring, I am totally grateful. Yay.



Happy birthday son. Thank you for honoring my life with your presence. Love always,


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog