Skip to main content

Boundaries for Sons




This issue has been wriggling in my head for several months now.

A lot of you have sons, but I'm guessing most still have baby boys, or are in elementary grades (or have baby brains, whatever the age ;-) so this is a far-off concern for now.

My 13 year old (the one who acts 18yo. 8yo acts like he's 30) has been slowly but surely partaking in late-teen boys activities since last year I'm continually stunned each time this manifests.

I know raising boys also means eventually letting go, but I was kinda hoping it would go according to the sked we take for granted. A lot of things he does now I was expecting he would do so at 16, or 17 years old... not start at 12.

I've been starting to worry about young people's crazy-ass shit as well. There's always the smoking, the alcohol, mild drugs, scary drugs, reckless sex... These grown-teens' activities always hook in vices somehow. He's very active in school and academics, so that's one glimmer of hope for me. Less time to stay out of trouble, less chance to hang out with the dregs-kids. But then, when he's just hanging out, I worry. Really.

I've been percolating in my head where do I set my boundaries.

I'm guessing these activities aren't happening yet, but when you're a parent, early is always on-time. Can't help kids to avoid certain situations when they're already swimming in it, right?

It's kinda different, I guess, when you have boy-girl children, or mostly girls children. Maybe parents of these sets think and feel differently.

When one raises boys, where does one stand? There are roles expected of males that are inevitable. These roles are a big part of their lives, whether I like it or not (I not, mostly.). Which lines shouldn't be crossed? Which lines do you let sons go na-na-na-na as they crisscross dance across the boundary and parent just laughs it off, or ignore it? Where, where, where???

My main considerations are mainly:

1) Young boys will ALWAYS find ways to do these naughty things behind your back. They have the "tough" roles to fill. Naughty is fine, but extreme deviant behavior (such as addictions or violence) scare the bejezus outta me.

2) That the boys balance between being non-sissies and being sensible.

3) Oh, and have I mentioned I did those things too when I was younger so much younger than today, i never needed anybody's help in any way? ... My life is an open-book, even to them. I refuse to be all-righteous on them. I feel it's dishonest and puts me at a disadvantage because I have to pretend to be someone I'm not.

I'm kind of hoping to go for the "It's okay if you try a little(at this age, and later, do these things moderately) but these things don't have to take over your regular activites" route.

Man, cross my fingers. And toes... and everybody else's toes. Include your eyes!

Comments

Casey said…
That's a tough one. My parents never talked to me about ANYTHING... sex, drugs, even girl stuff, and I had to learn it all the hard way. I wasn't super bad but I sure did things that my folks didn't know about. I'm glad you're honest with the boys, I plan on being the same way..
CROSS YOUR EYES! CROSS YOUR EYES!
Nice post! But no matter how hard we try, we can never stop a child from growing up. They will still get hurts and a lot more scars. That's life.
clarkie300 said…
Tough age to deal with, if you set too many boundaries it might cause rebellion, but if you don't, they rebel anyways right? Oh I can't wait!
Yeah... but so far... i have more blissful moments than worries with having bigger kids.

Popular posts from this blog

Diliman Preparatory School QC Rocks

Summary: This is a School Review, based on our family's experience.

If you are looking for an excellent school in Quezon City for your elementary or high school children, Diliman Preparatory School along Commonwealth offers up-to-date competitive curriculum in Mathematics, Sciences and Reading. They also have excellent extra-curriculum activities that will help give your children a holistic education.




Last week, at my son's academic achievement awarding ceremony (he got the no.1 honor in class again, yay! Good job, son!), the CEO of the school talked to the parents about the achievements of the school for the year, and the changes for next year.

To be quick about it, this year, Diliman Preparatory School:
- started with the Singaporean Math curriculum
- used the very new Learning by Design Reading program (it's a research-based and assessment-based reading curriculum)
- I noticed they introduced Robotics this year
- There are more changes I approve of but I won't list …

Another birthday...

I can't believe my teen is now 15!

I saw my old post about Isiah's birthday in 2008 and wow... time does fly.


Well, Isiah's 15 today and things are still quite smooth sailing.

No honors in school this year, but that's alright.
He is passionate about his music more than ever. I admire that he regularly sets aside time to study and practice music on his own.
He is not as relationship-crazy or girl-crazy the past months, I wonder why.
He is totally into new-age yikies like meditation and chakras.
Seems like he is generally enjoying his school and friends.

I do bare my fangs for him mostly over his chore of washing the dishes, but that's about it. Yeah, boring.

But for this kind of boring, I am totally grateful. Yay.



Happy birthday son. Thank you for honoring my life with your presence. Love always,


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog

You Know They've Grown Again When...

I've never done this to my kids, but some parents tell their kids "If you're bad, I will go away."

I knew my 10 year old has grown again when I told him before my night out, "If you're going to be so difficult, I will stay in and cancel." Watch me watch you the whole night.

Yeah, that pretty much got him behaved. I was able to go out. ;-)





Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog