Skip to main content

Burnham, baby, Burnham


I dragged the boys to my school's homecoming lax week over at the City of Pines, Baguio City.

What's a good ole Baguio visit without dropping by its premiere park, Burnham?

Trivia: Yes, the park is named after the designer Daniel Burnham. Yup, it's the same renowned architect and urban planner from Chicago. He went up to the mountains early 190_ and designed this park.

I waited for the boys to paddle the boat around the park and appreciated the beauty of the city, the weather...

I was also approached by so many vendors as I waited for the boys. An assortment of oddities that reflected the state of people's income earning abilities.


I was approached by people selling:

1. Green Mango strips with shrimp paste (bagoong). This is a classic munchy for park-goers in Baguio, as well as

2. Crunchy pork rinds (chicharon)

3. Macaron (sort of like chicharon, but shaped like big macaroni)

4. Nuts, green peas

5. Balloons

and the odder oddities, such as

6. Coffee (the coffee vendo machine pales to the friendly smiling manong (big brother) vending the coffee in person

7. Christmas carols - carolling in the park becomes harassment if you're carolled to thrice in 20 minutes

8. Solicitation for volunteer teachers - ehhh? And the soliciting "teacher" looked more polished and nicer than me. bah.

9. Massage - for your back pains

10. And the wildest - Manicure and Pedicure.

But if you think about it, it's the perfect ending. Soothe the tootsies with a ped after walking around the city the entire day.

Oh ye, Filipinos are really resourceful.

Comments

Casey said…
I hope you didn't partake in too much of the anti-HASAY food? I could go for the pedi about now.
haha, I did. i was drunk in the evenings and hung over in the mornings. bah... Now I need a detox
Renz said…
Wow! pedi and mani in public? Hmmm...ilang germs kaya meron dun?
Gem said…
Hahaha. Nanibago ka sa manicure at pedicure. Yes they do that for a living.

I hope you did not fall for those solicitation scams.

Mura lang ang massage, sa bulag ba?

You really got all those types of vendors in the city.
mrsbear said…
I love some fresh chicharron. We Cubans eat it too. Not exactly health food but definitely satisfying. Mmmmm fried pig fat. I don't know if I'd be up for a pedicure in the middle of the park though, but hey, whatever works.

Popular posts from this blog

Diliman Preparatory School QC Rocks

Summary: This is a School Review, based on our family's experience.

If you are looking for an excellent school in Quezon City for your elementary or high school children, Diliman Preparatory School along Commonwealth offers up-to-date competitive curriculum in Mathematics, Sciences and Reading. They also have excellent extra-curriculum activities that will help give your children a holistic education.




Last week, at my son's academic achievement awarding ceremony (he got the no.1 honor in class again, yay! Good job, son!), the CEO of the school talked to the parents about the achievements of the school for the year, and the changes for next year.

To be quick about it, this year, Diliman Preparatory School:
- started with the Singaporean Math curriculum
- used the very new Learning by Design Reading program (it's a research-based and assessment-based reading curriculum)
- I noticed they introduced Robotics this year
- There are more changes I approve of but I won't list …

Another birthday...

I can't believe my teen is now 15!

I saw my old post about Isiah's birthday in 2008 and wow... time does fly.


Well, Isiah's 15 today and things are still quite smooth sailing.

No honors in school this year, but that's alright.
He is passionate about his music more than ever. I admire that he regularly sets aside time to study and practice music on his own.
He is not as relationship-crazy or girl-crazy the past months, I wonder why.
He is totally into new-age yikies like meditation and chakras.
Seems like he is generally enjoying his school and friends.

I do bare my fangs for him mostly over his chore of washing the dishes, but that's about it. Yeah, boring.

But for this kind of boring, I am totally grateful. Yay.



Happy birthday son. Thank you for honoring my life with your presence. Love always,


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog