Skip to main content

Heart Broken Mom



Few weeks ago, 14 yr old was bugging me about a school project. Instead of the boring book report,they were supposed to act out in front of the class a book character. It was a pretty cool assignment. You can't act out if you don't do your book report first. So it's both a book report AND theatrical assignment.

"Who should I do, mom?"

Hmmm.. How about Holden Caulfield?

(Uncomprehending scowl)

Holden Caulfield? From Catcher in the Rye?

(Uncomprehending scowl)

As in THE Holden Caulfield from Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger?

(Bored, and gave me the "I went on to the next universe" look)

"Mom, I want to do someone that my teacher knows."

Heller, if your teacher is a real lit teacher, she'd know Holden Caulfield!

"No, she won't."

Arg! I haven't heard about the project after that.

Tuesday was presentation day. Monday night, these high school students were all aflurry over this project as evidenced by the voluminous IM messages, SMS tone alerts and voice calls hovering in the background. Plus I caught a glimpse from afar of a looong thread in Facebook where the classmates posted who they were to do.

By the simple chit chats I overheard, I realized that the only characters these high school teens mostly knew can be categorized to 2 groups:
Fairy tales homies and dudes in books turned into movies.

As I am/ was a lit-junkie, all I can say is:

HU-WAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Sniff, sniff...



Digg!


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog

Comments

gamommy2two said…
Ugh. That is indeed a problem. I remember doing a book report in high school on Catcher in the Rye...Thinking I was totally cool and a smarty pants, I did the entire thing on the hooker portion of the book. I got an A :)
Kat said…
Hahaha, that was quite a bad-ass report to do... and you deserve a bad-ass grade! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Diliman Preparatory School QC Rocks

Summary: This is a School Review, based on our family's experience.

If you are looking for an excellent school in Quezon City for your elementary or high school children, Diliman Preparatory School along Commonwealth offers up-to-date competitive curriculum in Mathematics, Sciences and Reading. They also have excellent extra-curriculum activities that will help give your children a holistic education.




Last week, at my son's academic achievement awarding ceremony (he got the no.1 honor in class again, yay! Good job, son!), the CEO of the school talked to the parents about the achievements of the school for the year, and the changes for next year.

To be quick about it, this year, Diliman Preparatory School:
- started with the Singaporean Math curriculum
- used the very new Learning by Design Reading program (it's a research-based and assessment-based reading curriculum)
- I noticed they introduced Robotics this year
- There are more changes I approve of but I won't list …

Another birthday...

I can't believe my teen is now 15!

I saw my old post about Isiah's birthday in 2008 and wow... time does fly.


Well, Isiah's 15 today and things are still quite smooth sailing.

No honors in school this year, but that's alright.
He is passionate about his music more than ever. I admire that he regularly sets aside time to study and practice music on his own.
He is not as relationship-crazy or girl-crazy the past months, I wonder why.
He is totally into new-age yikies like meditation and chakras.
Seems like he is generally enjoying his school and friends.

I do bare my fangs for him mostly over his chore of washing the dishes, but that's about it. Yeah, boring.

But for this kind of boring, I am totally grateful. Yay.



Happy birthday son. Thank you for honoring my life with your presence. Love always,


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog