Skip to main content

Mother Knows You Only Too Well, But...

Let me guess. When you were a kid, you can name at least one mom (either yours or someone you know) who has said "I know you too well, I'm your mother." I'm guessing some of you moms also say that or are proud of yourselves for that.

My mom likes to say that for any of us sibs. It can get quite annoying if said in an unpleasant context.

Well, here's a newsflash - The inverse also holds true. Your child also knows you all too well. And this knowledge can be used in goodwill or otherwise.

- -

A few weeks back, 10 yr old wanted to attend a birthday party on a Sunday. And Sunday is Grandma day. "hmmm..." I told 10 yr old. "If your gran finds out you're attending a birthday party she'll say you are a (hidden comment #1). She'll also say, why did you (hidden comment #2). Do you think you are (hidden comment #3)?"

So that Sunday, we did visit grandma. Early afternoon, 10yr old told gran we were leaving early because he wanted to attend a party. Grandma's reply: "(hidden comment #1). (hidden comment #2). (hidden comment #3)." So we went home early. Even if we left with snide comments in the air, Leon wasn't glum as he usually would react. He was laughing... because everything I quoted was actually said!

- -

Recently, I finally consented for the boys to have a PSP thingy (a reward for their good grades, said the giver). The other day, I asked the boys to please put some cute games in so that I will borrow that thing sometimes. My teen put in something I really liked. A game similar to O2 Jam, where you're supposed to hit the keys simultaneously with the musical notes.

I couldn't help but smile, he knows me only too well...

- -

Yes, we do know our children only too well. But don't forget that our kids have brains and know you only too well back. Let us give our children leeway, because they're accommodating us as well.



Digg!


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Diliman Preparatory School QC Rocks

Summary: This is a School Review, based on our family's experience.

If you are looking for an excellent school in Quezon City for your elementary or high school children, Diliman Preparatory School along Commonwealth offers up-to-date competitive curriculum in Mathematics, Sciences and Reading. They also have excellent extra-curriculum activities that will help give your children a holistic education.




Last week, at my son's academic achievement awarding ceremony (he got the no.1 honor in class again, yay! Good job, son!), the CEO of the school talked to the parents about the achievements of the school for the year, and the changes for next year.

To be quick about it, this year, Diliman Preparatory School:
- started with the Singaporean Math curriculum
- used the very new Learning by Design Reading program (it's a research-based and assessment-based reading curriculum)
- I noticed they introduced Robotics this year
- There are more changes I approve of but I won't list …

Another birthday...

I can't believe my teen is now 15!

I saw my old post about Isiah's birthday in 2008 and wow... time does fly.


Well, Isiah's 15 today and things are still quite smooth sailing.

No honors in school this year, but that's alright.
He is passionate about his music more than ever. I admire that he regularly sets aside time to study and practice music on his own.
He is not as relationship-crazy or girl-crazy the past months, I wonder why.
He is totally into new-age yikies like meditation and chakras.
Seems like he is generally enjoying his school and friends.

I do bare my fangs for him mostly over his chore of washing the dishes, but that's about it. Yeah, boring.

But for this kind of boring, I am totally grateful. Yay.



Happy birthday son. Thank you for honoring my life with your presence. Love always,


Liked this post? You can be notified with newest entries, subscribe to MotherFonker Blog